So where to start. “Deploy Office 365 with Microsoft Intune”is my very first blog (besides from introducing myself) and it feels like I’m kind of lost, not knowing where to start. There are so many good blogs out there and I’ll try to add some value to them. Well without further due…
Download the Infographic here
Did you know it’s now easier than ever to deploy Office 365, to MDM enrolled devices running Windows 10 Creators update? It’ll take you less than 5 minutes.
Before you start.. important caveats to note
- Deployment works for devices with Windows 10 “creators update” (version 1703) or later.
- There should be NO other version of Office installed, so it’s not suitable for upgrades yet.
- Data loss is possible if an end user is using Office apps during deployment so make sure you’re all set to go.
- Only the standalone version of Intune works. No co-management or hybrid with SCCM yet.
With that out of the way, let’s take a look at the new Intune console and create an Office 365 package ready to deploy.
Deploy Office 365 with Microsoft Intune
Sign into the Azure portal and navigate to >Intune> Mobile apps>Apps.
Above the list of apps, choose Add.
On the Add App blade, choose Office 365 Suite Suite (Windows 10).
This will give you access to 3 more sections to configure; the Configure App Suite, the App Suite Information and the App Suite Settings sections;
Now click on “Configure App Suite” to open the blade and choose the Office 365 apps you want to deploy to devices. When done, click OK at the bottom.
After you have created the app suite, you cannot edit its properties. To configure different properties, delete the app suite and create a new one.
Let’s continue with “App Suite Information” blade where you can provide information about the app suite you’re deploying.
- Suite Name – Provide a Name for the Office 365 suite.
- Suite Description – Enter a description for the app suite
- Publisher The publisher name should already be filled in.
- Category – Optional.
- Display this as a featured app in the Company Portal – Select Yes or No. This should display the app prominently on the company portal.
- Information URL – Optional.
- Privacy URL – Optional.
- Developer – Optional.
- Owner – Optional.
- Notes – Optional.
- Logo – Use the default logo, or upload one yourself.
Continue to “App Suite Configuration” and choose whether to deploy the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Office and the Update channel. English US will be the default languages so make sure to select the required languages. Shared computer activation is used when multiple users share a computer. For more information, see Overview of shared computer activation for Office 365.
When ready, click on OK twice, and finally click on Add at the bottom of the blades. This will automatically bring you to the final blade so lets wrap it up and assign the app.
In most cases, you’ll want to assign the suite to a user group so that Office 365 is available on any Windows 10 PC they logon to. Please note that there are 4 assignment types to choose from. The Available type, that allows users to install Office from the Company Portal was not an option before and quite welcome.
Choose the desired assignment type and click on Save.
If you want to monitor the installation status for users and devices, open the app suite and click on either Device install status or User install status.
Office 365 deployment User Experience
The assignment type Required means that the Office 365 suite will be deployed as soon as you add an assignment and devices sync with Intune. Users will enjoy a fully silent installations of their Office 365 suite. If you choose the Available type, users will be allowed to install Office from the Company Portal. Once Office is installed on their machines, users will be able to be sign-in and activate the product.
In this article, I’ve shown you how to deploy Office 365 to MDM enrolled Windows 10 devices using Intune. That’s is for the 5 minutes. If you want to catch up with your reading, then feel free to have a look at the following resources:
- How to assign Office 365 ProPlus 2016 apps to Windows 10 devices with Microsoft Intune
- modern workplace solution